18 MONTHS – 3 YEARS OLD
At this age (between one and a half and two and a half years) children have a need to develop independence.
– Maria Montessori
The Toddler Program
The Toddler Program is for children between the ages of 18 months and 3 years old. This is the period when children’s lives are the most formative, in that they absorb impressions from all aspects of their surroundings. Children at this developmental stage have an enjoyment for learning. There is a development of order, concentration, and control of movement. We work on developing oral communication, independence and problem solving. The toddlers work on respect for oneself and others and on being aware of others within group situations. The Toddler Program is designed to provide the opportunity for children to foster the development of movement, independence, language, and creativity in a prepared environment.
Guided by qualified and dedicated staff, the toddler classroom is a maximum of 15 children and there is an optimal student/teacher ratio of 5 to 1. Work includes language development, gross motor, and fine motor (sensorial) development, art, music and outdoor activities. We work closely with parents in bringing the home environment in sync with the school environment. It is important that all children feel happy and safe in our school community.
At two years of age, we notice a sudden explosion into words; this explosion comes from the hidden work of the child. There has been a hidden, important, and complex preparation of language before this expression becomes manifest.
– Maria Montessori
Goals of the Program:
- Help foster motivation and spontaneous activity
- Provide sensory education for intellectual development
- Encourage co-operative learning through social interaction
- Provide learning opportunities through physical activity and outdoor activity for small and gross motor development
- Foster confidence and competencies through repetitive concrete exercises and experiences
- Provide learning activities for creative expression
At Dearcroft, we work closely with parents in bringing the home environment in sync with the school environment. It is important that all children feel happy and safe in our school community.
Entry Month: September
Entry Age: Children must be 18 months of age to begin the program.
Half Day Program: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Full Day Program: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Morning Extended Care: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Afternoon Extended Care: 3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Lunch program mandatory for full day students up to 44 months (additional fees apply).
Program Available at:
Dearcroft Montessori Lakeshore Campus
Dearcroft Montessori Trafalgar Crossing Campus
Toddler Curriculum Highlights:
- Formal language lessons are given daily using vocabulary cards, classified objects, books, poems, songs, and finger play activities.
- An important component of our program is providing opportunities for children to develop gross motor skills, coordination, balance, and strength.
- Exploration and creation in art with such mediums as finger-paints, play dough, and cutting and pasting daily.
- Daily music circles, singing, and movement, including dancing, rhythm patterning and introduction of various instruments.
- Fine motor development contains a full complement of manipulative activities such as bead stringing, cutting, puzzles, sewing and sorting.
- Refinement of hand-eye coordination, using both hands together, strengthening the muscles of the hand and refining the pincer grasp.
- Practical life activities include many of the everyday tasks children observe their parents doing at home, including, cutting, cooking, washing, sweeping.
- Science and culturally based learning activities offered daily.
- Planting, gardening, yoga, mindfulness, and exploring their natural surroundings, a variety outdoor education learning opportunities offered.